Hi,

Yes, continuous queries are only predicate based and could named as "continuous
listener", but for an initial query that run once we could use
SQLFieldsQuery.
Let try with following code:
ContinuousQuery<Long,SomeValue > q= new ContinuousQuery<Long, SomeValue>();
((ContinuousQuery)q).setInitialQuery(new SqlFieldsQuery("select _val from
table"));
q.setLocalListener(System.out::println);
QueryCursor cursor = binaryCache.query(q);
cursor.forEach(o -> {
               SomeValue v = (SomeValue) o;
});

Thanks,
Pavel

> Thanks for your answer Pavel.
>
> But that does not help. 'q' is already a ContinuousQuery am I not sure what
> good the additional cast does. Anyway I tried that and also explicitly
> casting the initialQuery, didn't work. As I was suggesting in my first post
> the types don't line-up.
>
> In my search I came across this on Stack Overflow:
> https://stackoverflow.com/a/43076601
>
> According to that reply "Continuous queries are only predicate based, SQL
> is
> not supported here.". But the documentation says SQL is supported. This is
> very confusing and misleading.
>
> If only predicate based queries are supported than how can one take
> advantage of the indexes in Ignite.
> I would prefer SCAN queries, but without indexes my initial query is
> unacceptably slow.
>
> Thanks in Advance.
>
> Thanks,
> Andre