Nick,

*TcpDiscoveryMetricsUpdateMessage* (aka heartbeats) are processed in the
discovery thread, but not the exchange.
So, if your *cancel() *method is hanging, then an exchange won't be able to
proceed, but discovery will work fine.
Hanging deactivation is not a pleasant thing, but I think, this is a fair
consequence of a badly implemented *cancel()* method.

Denis