Gordon,

Yes, generally we do recommend using thin client for such applications.
However, it doesn't mean that you can't us client node in case it's really
needed, although it might require some additional tuning.

Would you mind telling if you have any other technology in mind? I highly
doubt that you will find anything that can provide functionality similar to
CQ in Ignite, especially with the same delivery guarantees, while being
based on a lightweight client. I believe you either will not succeed in
finding such an alternative, or your use case does not require continuous
queries in the first place. Can you give some more details on what you're
trying to achieve? I might be able to suggest some other approach then.

-Val