Yes, Ignite Queue. In the mean time I did some tests and it seems that adding
fields is not a problem but removing or doing some more complicated stuff
would be.

Another option is to implement Externalizable and implement the logic there.
So I think a good approach would be a combination between methods. Additions
are backwards compatible so this feature will be used. For incompatible
changes migrations of data to other queues will be used. To have a
complicated code in serialization/deserialization is not desirable either as
this would affect performance.