Hi Steve,

I think that you can get a performance hit for your write operations by
disabling the WAL. It serves two purposes in Ignite. The first is the
recovery while the second is fast disk writes. The WAL is an append-only
structure and Ignite can persist changes to disk really quick. If the WAL
is disabled then it will take more time to update persistence files on disk.

Just in case, if you missed that point, once the persistence is enabled
Ignite will keep 100% of records on disk. It's not like a OS swap process
that kicks in only when you're running out of memory space. Usually, we
recommend disabling the WAL during a loading phase:
https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/write-ahead-log#section-wal-activation-and-deactivation

In general, I would certainly keep the WAL enabled but disabled the WAL
archiving if the recovery is not a big deal for you:
https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/write-ahead-log#disabling-wal-archiving

-
Denis