Adam,

Like your way of thinking. It makes sense to me.

For me, a computing platform comprises two essential components - a storage
engine and compute APIs (not only compute grid, but also streaming, SQL,
etc.). Under this definition, Ignite fits the "compute platform" category
for sure, but the problem (and the reason why I started this discussion
thread) is that the "in-memory computing platform" is not a ubiquitous
product category. At the same time, we all know that Ignite is used to
speed things up by storing and executing in memory. And if you need to make
software faster, you usually search for something scalable or in-memory
(in-memory caches, in-memory, NoSQL, distributed databases). Basically,
most of the folks search for "caches" and "in-memory database" which is
related to Ignite and only the tip of the iceberg searches for "in-memory
computing platforms" and "data grids".

Btw, how has your story started with Ignite? How did you find out about it?

-
Denis