Btw, you should also know that the following improvements in the upcoming
2.12 release might make "compute stats" more palatable on your huge tables.
We'd love your feedback on COMPUTE STATS with TABLESAMPLE, in particular.

COMPUTE STATS with TABLESAMPLE
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IMPALA-5310

COMPUTE STATS on a subset of columns
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IMPALA-3562

The following improvement should allow you to COMPUTE STATS less frequently
by extrapolating the row count of partitions that were added or modified
since the last COMPUTE STATS.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IMPALA-2373
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IMPALA-6228

In general, would be great to get your feedback/ideas on how to make
computing stats more practical for you.