SET is very cheap because it just changes a value in the user's session.
There's no interaction with any other services.

DDL operations can be a lot more expensive, although they don't compete
with executing queries for resources. For the most part those DDL
operations you mentioned consume resources in Java, generate load on
metadata services like the HDFS namenode and Hive Metastore, and can block
other DDL operations. We don't have great visibility at the moment into
those resources consumed by metadata operation.