>fixed in a manner that would still allow query hints
I would vote for this.
A possible solution could be to replace variables in comments only if the
variable is set (so no longer treat it as an error). Referencing unset
variables in non-comment code should be still treated as an error.
This would not break any existing queries, and the only problematic side
effect would be that "mistyped variables that should be hints" would be
harder to detect, but that should be a very rare issue.
I checked Hive shell and replaces it variables only if they are set, even
in non-comment code, but I think that it is better to treat this as en
error.

> fixed for all comments in variables
I would not go this way, as it could break some existing use cases. This
should be very rare, but as the original issue seems like a minor nuisance
to me, I think that it would be better to leave it as it is than to
introduce a breaking change.