I just built Impala 3.3 from source with Kudu 1.11. Unlike previous
versions, in 3.3 impalad would not start unless installed a local hive
metastore db on the impalad instance, not just the catalogd instance. I'm
now getting a strange "IllegalArgumentException:null" error when creating
kudu tables from  impala, where  the kudu table is created but impala does
not create metadata. Logs show nothing but I'm guessing this has something
to do with metastore integration. Can I somehow disable metastore
integration from impalad?

x-posting with kudu in case there might be any insight from that side.

Thanks,
Cliff