First off, I’m totally on board with the move to Java 7. Beyond Java 6 being
EOL, Java 7 has finally reached some kind of critical mass [1].

My primary concern is around the kind of change it is and the timing of it.
This is a major backwards incompatible change. As soon as we write that first
line of code using a Java 7 feature, we’re leaving a lot of people behind.

If 1.8 is our next release after 1.7.3 then dropping support for it seems a bit
sudden for our users (both Rackspace and jclouds in general). However, I’m not
entirely certain of that. I would prefer this to be a data-driven decision and
I need some time to dig into the data.

Please give me until the end of June to gather some data and poll our customers.

I also think we should be prepared to support the last version of jclouds with
Java 6 longer than our usual support (i.e. an exception to our N-1 policy).
This is especially important for security issues. I’m sure we have users from
all across the jclouds community that will not be able to upgrade from Java 6
for X amount of time for Y reason. We can’t abandon these developers.

Everett

[1] http://jaxenter.com/what-s-cool-in-java-these-days-50419.html

On May 30, 2014, at 1:52 AM, Ignasi Barrera