So the note from the manual is actually what I would like to capture (basically
the round-trip time for request/response) - but it
is clear that's not what JM2.6 is doing...

I'm using the Summary Report listener. It shows columns for:

        Label   # Samples       Average Min     Max     Std. Dev.       Error %
        Throughput      KB/Sec          Avg. Bytes

I had assumed that Average was the average of whatever 'elapsed time' JMeter
was using for the request, but either I'm mistaken, or
JM2.6 isn't correctly measuring the elapsed time for the request.

My test cgi script is pretty simple, it just sleeps for 2 seconds, then returns
an HTML document that is basically 15,700 (or so)
bytes of useless text. I was trying to simulate the slowdown I'm seeing in
JMeter2.6 vs. JMeter2.4 from my standard test cases.

There is something else I don't understand - related to the 'average' shown in
the Summary Report listener... If I do 10,000
iterations of a single request, and spread those over 100 threads - a rough
estimate of my elapsed time should be something like
'(samples/threads) * average'. But I'm getting numbers that are waaay out of
whack with what I'm actually seeing:

        JM2.6: 10000 samples, 100 threads, 756 average ... I should get ~75.6
seconds total elapsed time to run the test. (Plus any
JMeter overhead.)
                The actual time is 210 seconds.

        JM2.4: 10000 samples, 100 threads, 767 average ... I should get ~76.7
seconds total elapsed time to run the test. (Plus any
JMeter overhead.)
                The actual time is 211 seconds

So the average is _waaaay_ off from what I'm thinking it should be, but the
total time actually is in-line with the expected
'average' for the request/response I'm sending...

While we're at it, the 'throughput' has the same problem - except that it is
_vastly_ different from JM2.4 to JM2.6. Specifically,
the throughput for the above JM2.6 test says: 48.4/sec, whereas the throughput
for the above JM2.4 test is 128.3/sec.

The _real_ throughput (based on the samples/elapsed time in seconds) is
actually around 47/sec (so JM2.6 appears to be closer to
accurate on that).

--
Robin D. Wilson
Sr. Director of Web Development