I would also recommend JMeter's wiki for this one. There you will find
links & references to resources useful that try to cover general concerns
(regarding performance testing, industry "standards"/expectations, good
approaches and also results interpretation). There aren't good quick
answers, nothing "short" compensate for the experience of the people who
wrote those materials.

But since that might take a while, as a quick answer I would add that it
depends  A LOT  on the type of page that you want to load. And you also
have to know your end-users expectations... - users quit if pages are slow,
usually, but if the data is very valuable to them, they might wait (you see
there's a lot to talk about, for news pages and a blog page they won't wait
too many seconds, if their banking page take 20s they might wait, if
someone wants a report with analytics, they will wait minutes for it to
load in the web page). So don't generalise, just make sure you understand
stakeholders and end-users expectations first and then balance that on what
your developers can deliver realistically. You decide what is acceptable or
not. For "industry standard", take a peek at the competition, see how they
fair - try to beat that.

--Adrian S