You also need to evaluate _all_ of the potential bottlenecks when running
multiple threads from the same machine. For example, the
network interface - if you are requesting pages that return 1MB of data, and
you try to do 1000 threads - it is unlikely that your
load-generating system can handle 1GB of data from each simultaneous page as
easily as say 10 machines can handle 100MB each. (Of
course, then you have to look at the test servers - to make sure that they are
not similarly bottlenecked.

Likewise, if your threads do a lot of pre and post processing (essentially
parsing the data that comes back from the servers) and
have a lot listeners, can your client machine really handle that amount of
workload "times 1000"? It is unlikely unless you have the
most basic of request/response values, and parsing rules.

One example would be the 'tree listener'... If you are recording every response
in the tree listener, it will eventually run your
machine out of memory. Not only that, but before it runs you out of memory - it
will dramatically slow down your test. So in our
tests, we only use the 'tree listener' for recording errors. But even with just
that, there is still a measurable difference in
performance when it is enabled versus disabled.

I run our load from 4 different load-generator machines (all running JMeter),
each with Core i7 processors, and 8GB of RAM. We never
run more than 200 threads simultaneously (50 per box) - simply because we've
found that when we ramp up the testing clients beyond
that level, the slowdown comes from the clients - not the servers. But then our
tests are pretty involved, with lots of pre/post
processors and assertions.

What you want to look for is how do you generate sufficient load on the servers
- and how many load-generating clients are required
for that. You can try 1000 threads on a single client, but you look at the load
on the servers and see it nowhere near capacity, and
then you look at the load on the load-generating client and see it maxed out in
CPU, Memory, I/O, (any single one will block it from
generating more load), then you need to lower the number of simultaneous
threads on that client until you see the best mix of
performance from the client vs. capacity on the server. Then you can add more
clients to meet your goal of 1000 simultaneous threads
hitting the server.

--
Robin D. Wilson
Sr. Director of Web Development