Here's a real-life example:

In our web application, many of our pages return a "200" response code, but the
actual page returned is an error message to the end user. In our system, all of
our "end user error messages" follow a consistent pattern in the HTML of the
returned page. So we have a negative assertion that checks that these patterns
don't exist in any returned page - so we know that the system did not return an
error during the JMeter run.

Likewise, on most pages we have an assertion for some HTML pattern that will
only be present if the correct successful page is returned.

BUT, assertions are relatively expensive in JMeter - meaning they add a lot of
test of processing to the script, and slow down throughput of JMeter. (They use
regular expressions to parse the returned data fro the server, which takes a
lot of compute power.) So use them efficiently...

--
Robin D. Wilson
VOICE: 512-777-1861