If you have a thread group with 10 HTTP Request samplers in it (or 100, or
1000, whatever the number is - the more you have, the more pronounced this
concern will become), and you run a thread that steps through each of the
samplers in sequence, some threads will get done sooner than others - that is
practically guaranteed - since there is no way that the server will respond
identically quickly to each request.

So, after 1 loop through your test plan you will have a bell curve of times it
took for each thread to complete the loop. A few threads will have completed
relatively fast, a few will have completed relatively slower, and the bulk of
the threads will have completed with times somewhere in the middle. Let's say
that the fastest thread completes the full set of requests for the loop in 10
seconds. And the slowest thread completes the loop in 20 seconds. For
argument's sake, let's say that the differential between fastest and slowest is
not necessarily due to the capacity of the server, but just an artifact of
random chance - the fastest thread caught all the green lights, and the slowest
thread caught all the red lights (e.g., i/o blocking, lock waits, network
congestion back offs, etc.)...

If you re-start the loop for each thread, as soon as it completes the last loop
- then the fast threads will restart much earlier than the loops that are
completing on the slower end of the curve. In fact, given that the 'fastest'
time was only 10 seconds, and the slowest time was 20 seconds - there is a
non-zero chance that the fastest thread could actually complete another full
loop by the time the slowest thread is completing its first full loop.

If you assign the loops based on a pure division of "number of loops / number
of threads", you will assure that each thread has an equal number of loops. But
you will also assure that some threads complete their total number of loops
well before other threads complete their full set of loops. Moreover, the
longer your test run is, the wider the disparity will be between the threads
that reach their full loop count early, and the threads that finish the full
loop count last. Such that, the slower running threads may be running their
last several loops while the faster threads have completely died off - meaning
that the last few threads will be running while the machine is under a
progressively lighter load.

Clearly, you can't help this from happening during the 'last' loop for every
thread, since each thread must stop once it has completed a full loop - if
there are no more loops left to run. But if you don't really care how many
times each thread runs a loop, you could schedule the loops from a queue -
where instead of pre-calculating the total loops for each thread, you just
maintained the total number of loops you needed for the test to run, and each
thread would just decrement the count when it finished its previous loop. Once
the count drops all the way to '0', all of the threads still running would
complete their final loops, and the test would be done. BUT no threads would be
starting new loops while the server was under a lighter load (even though they
would complete their last loops while the load steadily declined).

Sebb's suggestion of just using a CSV file to count the loops accomplishes this
exact requirement. If I want a test to run 100,000 loops, I just supply a CSV
file with 100000 records it. Then I set the Thread Group to run "Infinite"
loops, and set the CSV file to stop on EOF. The test runs until the 100000th
record is retrieved from the CSV file, and once that loop starts - the threads
all stop when they finish their most recent loop because they can't get another
record from the CSV. (HINT: you can give the CSV variable a name like
'loop_count', and make your CSV file contain records that count up from
1-100000, and you will also gain a variable that tells you which loop you were
on for specific sets of requests.)

This isn't a huge concern, just a way to make sure that you maintain the same
relative server load all through the duration of the test.

--
Robin D. Wilson
Voice: 512-426-3929