Felix, I ran with G1. Results are very interesting.

Shame I can't post images, but

Using Parallel GC
- Baseline CPU was smooth and low, reaching a normal rate of about 11% at the
peak end of the test (~82,000 requests/min with 6,080 VU)
- memory reached the max 12GB after 1 hour of the test, then did GC, causing
spikes of CPU to about 60% and a break in requests of about 2.9 seconds
- memory then dropped to just under 8GB

Using G1 GC
- Baseline CPU was very spiky, fluctuating between 15% and 30% at the same
point in the test compared to ParallelGC
- memory never reached max, it hit 6.6GB at 20 minutes, before dropping to 4GB
and from then on until the test end, slowly saw-toothed up to 7.5GB, never
getting close to the max
- no break in request pattern

GC log analyser says this (hope tables are not too stuffed up)

Young Generation, allocated=4 gb, peak=1.01 gb
Old Generation, allocated=8 gb, peak=6.1 gb
Meta Space, allocated=1.02 gb, peak=22.44 mb
Young + Old + Meta space, allocated=13.02 gb, peak=7.13 gb

Avg Pause GC Time = 90 ms
Max Pause GC Time = 190 ms

Duration (secs) No. of GCs      Percentage
0 - 0.1         837     78.151%
0.1 - 0.2       234     100.0%

A substantial CPU cost to achieve that but I have plenty of capacity on those
boxes. I did not run CMS

Antony