I typically construct test suites using fragments, where each fragment
would work as a standalone business process.

For example, using a flight booking website:

Test Plan
+- "Purchase flights" test group
    +- Login fragment
    +- Book flight fragment
    +- Purchase flight fragment
    +- Logout fragment
+- "Search" test group
    +- Anonymous flight search fragment
etc

Each fragment is a separate JMX script, where each can be run individually
or as part of a larger test, and that's how I can build multiple scripts
into a "test suite" which could be considered as a "parent" JMX.

That way you can run via the GUI as a shakeout run, and via the command
line for a full test (using properties to define the thread group users,
duration and pacing).