As the CVE score for 2.17.0 isn't that severe and the default config
from JMeter should not be affected from it, we haven't done another
minor release.

You have a few options to mitigate this yourself.

a) Replace the log4j2 components with newer ones (2.17.1 for example)

b) Use a nightly build, which has current log4j2 versions (along with
other security related library updates)

For your point 2) I fear you have to give us more details, which mirror
server were you using and which artifact did you download?

Felix

PS. we plan to release a 5.5 version soonish (can't give any real date,
sorry)