There's no cleanly defined way to do that.  I have in mind since
several months to enhance the features maven plugin from Karaf to help
doing that in a much easier way, i.e. have a simple way to create
custom distributions on top of karaf by overlaying a set of karaf
features + configuration files + branding (which could include
renaming the main scripts to something different than karaf/karaf.bat)
and let the plugin do all the work.
There's a jira for that but nobody has had much time to work on that
unfortunately.
In the mean time, what ServiceMix does is using the maven assembly
plugin to add all the required files on top of the unpacked karaf
distribution and rebuild archives from that.