Yes, kars are for features what eba are for aries applications.
Though David Jencks is currently doing a lot of work in this area to
have a nice maven integration for kars, so that building a karaf
distribution will be done done in a very simply way by referencing
kars as maven dependencies and kars will be created as a maven
packaging along with features.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet