Jetty has a long history of being lightweight and easily embeddable,
with a good and responsive community, that's why it was chosen to be
used in pax-web, and pax-web was really the only available solution at
some point hence we have chosen it for Karaf.
I don't really see any major problems deploying gemini web in Karaf
though I haven't actually tested it.
The question is why do you want to use Tomcat instead of Jetty ? Jetty
is very mature too, though a bit less known.

Doing the WAB support in OSGi is quite a lot of work and we have
people here maintaining pax-web, so I don't really see the point in
recreating a new container on top of Tomcat.  The most important thing
about Tomcat imho is that the container and management is well known,
but if we'd start embedding it, you'd loose all of that anyway.

--
Guillaume Nodet