Achim Nierbeck wrote
> Hi,
>
> From your description I still can't see your issue. Maybe you should tell
> us more about what you are up to.
> Are you trying to run multiple spring versions with spring-dm?
> How is your setup?
> Do you only manually install the spring feature. Do you reference the
> desired spring feature in your feature.xml?
>
> Regards, Achim

I am not using multiple versions of Spring. Originally I was trying to use
the out-of-the-box spring 4.0.2 and spring-dm versions provided by the
container. In my features.xml I have tried including the following:

                 <feature version="${spring.version}">spring</feature>
                <feature version="${spring-dm.version}">spring-dm</feature>

where the versions match the ones provided by Karaf, as well as the same
definitions without the versions (which I believe would have the same effect
of activating spring-dm 1.2.1 and Spring 4.0.2.RELEASE_1).

In both cases I get the exception I have posted in the original question.
If I do:
   <feature version="3.2.4.RELEASE">spring</feature>

instead, and - before installing my application feature - make sure that
Spring 4.0.2.RELEASE_1 is UNINSTALLED, the bundle deploys without errors and
the spring context is instantiated.