David wants to create a "dummy bundle", describing a feature as resources (without the XML).

Not yet sure it's a good idea (it's what we discussed on IRC).

On 11/30/2015 10:36 AM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

<mailto:apa...@leangen.net>>:

        >> There is an easy way to install bundles.
        >> Just use the feature:requirement-add command.

        Sounds practical. But then again, I really like the idea of
        “features”. I like to see which “feature” is installed and
        running. If my bundle is only added as a requirement, then I
        lose that visibility. Also, having to restart Karaf each time
        I want to add a new repository (as is currently the case) is
        not a very nice option for me.

    Jean-Baptiste is working on that.
    I've also pushed support for referencing xml repositories from
    features files to a github branch
    https://github.com/gnodet/karaf/tree/KARAF-4130

    Looks nice!

    I noticed that currently, it is not possible to add a new Feature
    via the FeatureService. Although there is an addFeature(Feature)
    type method in the API, in practice it will not work if there is not
    a corresponding XML repo.

    It would be very nice to be able to create a feature on the fly,
    such as by wrapping a bundle, then add it via the service. Actually,
    for what I am trying to do it would be “necessary”. :-)

I'm not sure i understand this requirement.  How can you
programmatically generate the feature definition ? What's your input
exactly ?

    Should I file a JIRA issue for this?

        In any case, feature:requirement-add is currently not working
        for me, for 2 reasons…

        1) The patch I submitted to allow resolution of resources with
        relative URLs only works when
             there is one single Repository added to the config file.
        I am investigating an updated fix, but:

        2) Something odd happens intermittently when I try to add a
        requirement. Karaf adds “type=karaf.feature”
             even when I express the type as “osgi.bundle”. Example:

        karaf@root()> feature:requirement-add
        ‘osgi.identity=my.bundle;type=osgi.bundle'
        Error executing command: Unable to resolve root: missing
        requirement [root] osgi.identity;
        osgi.identity=“osgi.identity=my.bundle;type=osgi.bundle";
        type=karaf.feature;

filter:="(&(osgi.identity=osgi.identity=my.bundle;type=osgi.bundle)(type=karaf.feature))”

    Try with feature:requirement-add
    ‘requirement:osgi.identity;osgi.identity=my.bundle;type=osgi.bundle'

    Still trying. I must be doing something wrong… :-(

    Cheers,
    =David