Hi,

From an OSGi standards perspective it’s worth pointing out that the Blueprint
specification has not been touched since it was first released in OSGi 4.2.
There are a few proposed extension RFCs for Blueprint, but none have seen much
activity in five years or more.

Declarative Services, however, has been actively extended with new features
over the last few specification releases. Annotation-based metadata, type-safe
configuration, PrototypeServiceFactory support, field injection support, and
dynamic service wiring control using Configuration Admin are all cool DS
features that seem unlikely to ever make it into a Blueprint standard.

Karaf and Apache Aries have done a lot of work to enhance the Blueprint
Container with namespaces and interceptors, however all of these additions are
implementation specific and tie you in to that particular stack. This is not a
problem for some applications, and is a problem for others.

In summary, moving your application from Spring DM to Blueprint will almost
certainly be faster to achieve because Blueprint was heavily based on Spring
DM. I, however, would use this opportunity to move to DS because the standard
is actively being maintained and extended. As further food for thought, the
OSGi enRoute project (http://enroute.osgi.org <http://enroute.osgi.org/>) is
entirely DS based, and doesn’t offer Blueprint in its platform at all.

I wish you all the best with your decision.

Regards,

Tim