karaf-minimal is just a smaller distro then the normal karaf. It is released for each version of karaf.

Thanks Christian.

Where is the karaf-minimal distro available? I couldn't find it on the normal download pages.

So while debugging you can do mvn install on the single project after making changes to it. Karaf will then automatically updated the bundle(s) you built. This even works without disconnecting the debugger.

So in practice the debugging experience is not much worse than with the pde.

In addition to the debugging experience...is there anything to do about the dev experience...i.e. the compiler?

Scott

I guess Guillaume pointed you to this as an example of how to create your own custom distro.

There is no support to start karaf with a target platform. In practice debugging karaf distributions works quite well though. You simply start karaf with "karaf debug". Then go to the project you want to debug in eclipse and start a remote debugging session for it with port 5005.
See
http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest/#_debugging

This works very well for pure maven projects. I think it is not very well suited for tycho based projects.

Christian

    One more question:

    The pom you pointed me to:

https://github.com/apache/karaf/blob/master/assemblies/apache-karaf-minimal/pom.xml#L102-L148

<https://github.com/apache/karaf/blob/master/assemblies/apache-karaf-minimal/pom.xml#L102-L148>

    Seems to be the 'karaf minimal' or 'karaf boot' (not sure if these
    are the same thing), but the version appears to be 4.2...which is
    not out yet.   When is the expected release of karaf minimal/boot?

    Thanks,

    Scott