If I'm logged on to the console as user, the list of commands I can execute is
controlled by access control lists.
So, if I'm logged on as a user who has only got the "viewer" role, then I can't
shut karaf down, the system:shutdown command requires the "admin" role.

Great.

However, I still appear to be able to get command completion that
system:shutdown is a command, but when I try and invoke it I get "Command not
found: system:shutdown", which seems confusing.

Is this intentional? I saw a comment in the code somewhere (lost it now) that
made me think that the intention was that only commands I can actually invoke
are then put in the completion list, and indeed that would seem like reasonable
behaviour.