I'm working on a project using Karaf 3.0.1 (can't upgrade).

A colleague has a situation where he's using an artifact that tries to load a
properties file from the classpath using "getResource()", as opposed to
"getResourceAsStream()".  We can't change this.

He's tried to place these properties file on disk and adding the path to that
directory to the classpath when starting karaf.  When he steps through the
code, it doesn't find those files.  I didn't watch his debugging steps, but he
said that it appears to only use the bundle classloader, so augmenting the
classpath on the karaf command line makes no difference.

I know about the ability to place ".cfg" files into karaf/etc and define
persistent properties in a blueprint, but that doesn't help, because this
artifact expects to find these properties files on the classpath.

What else can we do to make these files findable by "getResource()" from the
code in the artifact?