That's correct and that's what I'm trying to solve (or work around).

E.g.

I need to store my mysql password in the config file. The password is 1234pwd.

Imagine we have a karaf command that's config:encrypt.

I use config:encrypt 1234pwd and it returns a hash, this hash would computed using a master password that would be different for each karaf instance based on it's "environment".

Now when ConfigAdmin reads the configuration file it will know how to compute the master password and decrypt the password and use the decrypted password (1234pwd) with the datasource or JDBC connection.

Since there would be no "API" to do this decryption "by hand" nobody would "easily" be able to get access to the decrypted password.

I'm currently looking if each karaf instance has some kind of a GUID or if there is some kind of GUID available from the system or something else that could be used to compute the instance related master password.

So basically the idea is to make the decryption "configuration" a system feature?

Schéin Gréiss, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Meilleures salutations, Kind regards,

Alex Weirig
Responsable Technique

Ville de Luxembourg - Centre Technolink 2, rue Charles de Tornaco L - 2623 LUXEMBOURG alex.wei...@technolink.lu <mailto:alex.wei...@technolink.lu> Tel: +352 4796 - 6127 Fax: +352 42 88 81 www.technolink.lu <http://www.technolink.lu>

Hi Alex,

The problem is the "direction".

Let me take an example: the encryption service we have to crypt passwords in
etc/users.properties.
Here's the direction is pretty simple: the user provides the password, we
encrypt the password using the configuration defined in
etc/org.apache.karaf.jaas.cfg and we compare the hashes: if the hash is the same
as the one contained in the etc/users.properties, then, it's OK.

But the user provides his password.

In any cfg configurations, it's the opposite: the application (let's say
pax-jdbc or your own application) expects the property value in clear text
whereas it's stored encrypted. So, it means that somehow we have to start from
the encrypted property value to provide the clear text one.
For instance, you are using pax-jdbc for datasources. You want to store the
database password encrypted in the cfg file. However, to actually establish the
connection, we have to use the password in clear text. So, we have to decrypt.

So a generic solution at ConfigAdmin layer would require decrypt->clear
direction which obviously require the decryption "configuration".