From: Jean-Baptiste Onofré <j...@nanthrax.net>
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 12:23 AM
To: user@karaf.apache.org
Subject: Re: Aries

Hi,

I think it's related to the mail I sent last week: better and dynamic usage of
resource repository with features resolver. It's what we discussed with
Christian.

Clearly today, Karaf features provide unique functionalities and description,
not covered by other repository (like subsystem or resource repository), I'm
thinking about configuration, features flags, inner features, etc.

However, it would make sense to start Karaf with a minimal features set and
then leverage resources repositories at runtime, dynamically.

The first step I proposed is basically to add commands to manipulate the
resources repository at runtime and add resource repository element in features
repositories.
Today, it's already possible to use resources repositories, defining it (in XML
or JSON) in etc/org.apache.karaf.features.cfg. This configuration is evaluated
when the features service starts and used by the features resolver.
The propose is:
1. add resource:repo-add and other commands to add/remove resource repositories
at runtime and then perform a new evaluation of the resolution.
2. add <resource/> element in features repo (as we have <repository/>) allowing
to define "open" features and relay on resources repository.

So, to be clear, I don't want to change the current features service which,
again, provide unique features, and it's the minimal layer to start a karaf
runtime. My proposal is to extend & improve the features service to better
leverage the resources repositories. The user then can focus only on a resource
repository and won't be "forced" to use a features repository.