(moving dev@ to bcc, this is not a question about how to implement
something in the Kudu codebase)

Right, there's no data balancing right now unless you add more
tablets/create new tables. If you can afford it, dump the table to Parquet,
drop the table, create a new one (that will get the distribution you want),
and finally reimport the data in the new table.

Master has a new "relocate" tool that lets you move tablet, but it's kind
of slow process:
https://github.com/apache/kudu/commit/5b7626e3a8250d797f2fc2001c8ee7634a39d18b

J-D