On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 11:56 PM, Chao Sun <sunc...@uber.com> wrote:

> > Sure, but increasing the number of consumers can increase the throughput
> (without increasing the number of Kudu tablet servers).
>
> I see. Make sense. I'll test that later.
>
> > Currently, if you run 'top' on the TS nodes, do you see them using a
> high amount of CPU? Similar question for 'iostat -dxm 1' - high IO
> utilization? My guess is that at 15k/sec you are hardly utilizing the
> nodes, and you're mostly bound by round trip latencies, etc.
>
> From the top and iostat commands, the TS nodes seem pretty under-utilized.
> CPU usage is less than 10%.
>
> > In manual flush mode, it's up to you to determine how big your batches
> are. It will buffer until you call 'Flush()'. So you could wait until
> you've accumulated way more than 1000 to flush.
>
> Got it. I meant the default buffer size is 1000 - found out that I need to
> bump this up in order to bypass "buffer is too big" error.
>
> > In your AUTO_FLUSH test, were you still calling Flush()?
>
> Yes.

OK,  in that case, the "Flush()" call is still a synchronous flush. So you
may want to only call Flush() infrequently.

> > Given this, are you hash-partitioning on just the UUID portion of the
> PK? ie if your PK is (uuid, timestamp), you could hash-partitition on the
> UUID. This should ensure that you get pretty good batching of the writes.
>
> Yes, I only hash-partitioned on the UUID portion.

Sounds good.

BTW, you can try a quick load test using the 'kudu perf loadgen' tool.  For
example something like:

kudu perf loadgen my-kudu-master.example.com --num-threads=8
--num-rows-per-thread=1000000 --table-num-buckets=32

There are also a bunch of options to tune buffer sizes, flush options, etc.
But with the default settings above on an 8-node cluster I have, I was able
to insert 8M rows in 44 seconds (180k/sec).

Adding --buffer-size-bytes=10000000 almost doubled the above throughput
(330k rows/sec)

-Todd