Actually I think I understand the root cause of this. I think at some point
NTP can switch the clock from a microseconds-based mode to a
nanoseconds-based mode, at which point Kudu starts interpreting the results
of the ntp_gettime system call incorrectly, resulting in incorrect error
estimates and even time values up to 1000 seconds in the future (we read 1
billion nanoseconds as 1 billion microseconds (=1000 seconds)). I'll work
on reproducing this and a patch, to backport to previous versions.

-Todd