On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 4:37 PM, Quanlong Huang <huang_quanl...@126.com>
wrote:

> Hi friends,
>
> We're trying to benchmark Impala+kudu to compare with other lambda
> architectures like Druid. So we hope we can install the latest release
> version of Impala (2.12.0)  and kudu (1.7.0). However, when following the
> installation guide in https://kudu.apache.org/docs/installation.html, we
> can only install kudu-1.6.0-cdh5.14.2. Is it possible to install kudu-1.7
> without manual compilation?

That's right -- the installation guide there is just provided as a
convenience link to a vendor who provides some binary artifacts. The Apache
Kudu project itself only releases source artifacts at this point in time.
You'll need to compile manually if you want a binary artifact for your
particular operating system.

It looks like someone on github has made RPMs available here:
https://github.com/MartinWeindel/kudu-rpm . Perhaps this would work for
your system?

However, note that, per my email on the Impala list, impalad needs to have
a libkudu_client from the 'native-toolchain' project so that it is built
with the same toolchain as Impala. So, you'll want to use the kudu client
bundled with your Impala build and point it at the Kudu server from your
own build or the above RPM.

> Besides, I notice that Impala-2.5 is not compatible with kudu-1.6.0 since
> the CREATE TABLE syntax for kudu is not recognized. Here's the error:
>
> Query: create TABLE my_first_table
> (
>   id BIGINT,
>   name STRING,
>   PRIMARY KEY(id)
> )
> PARTITION BY HASH PARTITIONS 16
> STORED AS KUDU
> TBLPROPERTIES (
>  'kudu.master_addresses' = 'lascorehadoop-15d26'
> )
> ERROR: AnalysisException: Syntax error in line 5:
>   PRIMARY KEY(id)
>           ^
> Encountered: IDENTIFIER
> Expected: ARRAY, BIGINT, BINARY, BOOLEAN, CHAR, DATE, DATETIME, DECIMAL,
> REAL, FLOAT, INTEGER, MAP, SMALLINT, STRING, STRUCT, TIMESTAMP, TINYINT,
> VARCHAR
>
> CAUSED BY: Exception: Syntax error

Right, I don't recall whether Impala 2.5 supported Kudu at all. If it did,
it was a very early version, and the syntax has since changed. For the
purpose of benchmarks I would definitely recommend using the latest
versions available.

> My further questions are
>
>    - Is there a compatibility matrix for Impala and Kudu?

We don't maintain any such matrix as part of the Apache projects. Doing so
would require a lot of testing of multiple versions and it's enough of a
time commitment that I don't think anyone has put in the work outside of
commercial "downstream" vendors.

>    - Is Impala-2.12 compatible with Kudu-1.6.0 and Kudu-1.7.0?
>
> Kudu itself has maintained wire compatibility, so you should be able to
point an Impala 2.12 cluster at either Kudu 1.6 or Kudu 1.7 clusters with
success. As above, you'll need to make sure you're using the
libkudu_client.so that's built with Impala's toolchain to avoid ABI-related
crashes, but that's not a compatibility issue so much as a quirk of how
Impala's build works.

-Todd