That is correct.  We got hit with this a while back.  Only way to release
the disk usage is to drop partition or table.  Improvement is being tracked
in KUDU-1625, which has no recent updates, but they tell me a big chunk of
the work did already make it into 1.12: basically as of 1.12 entire rowsets
that are deleted will be reclaimed, but not individual rows when other rows
remain in the rowset.  -Mauricio