If we had to go less frequently than a day I’m sure it’d be acceptable.  The
volume of deletes is very low in this case.  In some tables we can just “erase”
a column’s data but in others, based on the data design, we must delete the
entire row or group of rows.

From: Todd Lipcon [mailto:t...@cloudera.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 12:59 PM
To: user@kudu.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Weekly update 4/25

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 8:28 AM, Jordan Birdsell
<jordan.birdsell.k...@statefarm.com<mailto:jordan.birdsell.k...@statefarm.com>>
wrote:
Yes, this is exactly what we need to do.  Not immediately is ok for our current
requirements, I’d say within a day would be ideal.

Even within a day can be tricky for this kind of system if you have a fairly
uniform random delete workload. That would imply that you're rewriting _all_ of
your data every day, which uses a fair amount of IO.

Are deletes extremely rare for your use case?

Is it the entire row of data that has to be deleted or would it be sufficient
to "X out" some particularly sensitive column?

-Todd