The cost of joint dimension compared with extended column is you have more
columns in the HBase rowkey. It may harm the query performance. But most
time, joint dimension is still recommended, since the normal dimension
column supports much more functions than extended column, such as count(*).

--
With Warm regards

Yiming Liu (刘一鸣)