Hi Anders,
this is a great post!

Another interesting aspect of graph databases is IMHO thte absence of
any required relationships or attributes per se (of course enforcable
with higher level wrappers like the meta neo4j project). I feel it
gives a lot of flexibility to the data modeling and above all does not
require one to upfront define all possible future properties and
relationships, just to avoid major RDBMS updates later. This leads to
sparse tables and a lot of error and null handling code - not exactly
domain friendly.

Of course there is a downside for this flexibility, the handling of
traversals in a more dynamic manner via Neo4j Traversers or SparQL or
other new query paradigms that can accomodate this kind of semi
structured layout.

Basically I can see all the arguments of RDF and the GiantGlobalGraph
apply to Neo4j and other data structures, but without the cumbersome
RDF-String based (lack of) programming model to do real world
applications.

Neo4j - the Giant Local Graph :)

/peter

Open Hearts, Open Minds, www.OpenCauses.org.