Antonello,

java.nio is used both for simplicity (code gets cleaner) and speed.
The transaction packages and nioneo packages can be rewritten to use
java.io but that would not perform very well. Basic file operations
needed would be:

o read/write into/from a buffer (byte array) from/to a file
o change position in a file followed by reading/writing at/to that position
o flush a file making sure all changes to that file are persisted
o file truncation is nice to have too but not absolutely needed

-Johan