Looking at the Lucene javadocs I can see that you can ask an index
(IndexReader) the number of documents there are in it and it'd be
simple to expose a size() method in the IndexService interface or
perhaps on the LuceneIndexService class...

Would that be something worth/good to implement?

Neo Technology, www.neotechnology.com