I think this is a very domain specific question. If you data is naturally
very disjoint, then there can be value in having separate databases, and
benefit from increased total database size, easy clustering/partitioning,
etc. But, as you say below, you cannot (or at least not easily) traverse the
total dataset, only within each database. Then if you need the occasional
inter-database traversal, you can create special proxy nodes in each
database representing the inter-database connections, and at application
traverser level write the code for skipping over to the next database when
needed. Obviously this is all very domain- and app-specific, and will not
perform like in-database traversing (obviously :-)

I believe the Neo4j guys are investigating generalized partitioning schemes
for clustering transparently, but I suspect that will take some time to
mature.