The Dijkstra algorithm tries to find the path between two nodes which have
the lowest cost (where cost could be f.ex. a property on each relationship).
So that algorithm calculates costs and sums them for each path it tries out.

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dijkstra's_algorithm for more
information regarding that.

Is this something you were looking for?