Brock,

I've written a patch that allows setting the max threads via the neo4j
configuration file. Applying it fixes the problem you mention, but leads to
some kind of resource starvation higher up. This is not as critical, at 400
concurrent requests it will make the server alternate between 12ms read
response times (which should be the norm) and 300ms. It's still bad, so
before this patch is applied I'd like to dig into where that comes from.

If you want, though, you can apply the patch yourself. To do that, you would
download the REST component and the REST standalone project, avaliable here:

svn co https://svn.neo4j.org/laboratory/components/rest/
svn co https://svn.neo4j.org/assemblies/rest-standalone/trunk/

Apply the patch (attached to this email) to the REST component.

Run "mvn install" on the REST component, and then "mvn package" on the
standalone project. This will give you a patched version with a default max
thread count of 128 (compared to 5 before).

To increase it more, go to the "neo4j-rest-db"-folder in the deployed
system, open (or create) the file neo4j.properties, and use the following
two settings to modify the thread count:

rest_min_grizzly_threads=16
rest_max_grizzly_threads=48

I can't give you a "perfect" number, but it makes a big difference in
response times, in both directions, to change these settings.

/Jacob

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 8:51 PM, Brock Rousseau <bro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Jacob,
>
> Thanks for the quick response!
>
> We saw your post on the grizzly mailing list about the transaction limit
> fix. Is that something we'd be able to implement on our end today? We've
> had
> to throttle back the traffic significantly and are eager to see it in
> action
> at full volume.
>
> -Brock

Jacob Hansson