On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Jim Webber <j...@webber.name> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
>> Isn't it a pitty that I'll have to duplicate all this work?
>
> Could you elaborate on what you'd need to do to avoid duplication? Are you
> suggesting you'd like to sit in the same Jersey instance as the neo-rest
> service?

Yes: what is provided by neo4j-rest is a good start. Then you can
build around it your own/custom resources.

If neo4j-rest would be available as a webapp, then things like:

1. adding custom filters (e.g. security) would be trivial
2. adding custom resources would simply require a new deployed jar and
a small change in web.xml
3. dealing with static resources in a simpler way would be easier (not
the way it is currently implemented ;-)

etc.

While I still can achieve all these with the current packaging, it
feels more "hacky": I need to create a new Jetty6BasedWebServer or
modify the existing one to enhance it with my own stuff. Each change
would require compiling and repackaging the whole neo4j-rest.
Definitely not as easy as dropping in my own jar and a new web.xml.

2. On the same note, I was wondering why the GraphDatabaseService is
not initialized on some ContextListener and made available/injected
through the ServletContext or something like that.

Thoughts?

:- alex