The first thing that comes to mind as a possibly useful 3D graph
visualization is to lay the graph on a (non-planar) surface, rather than
just in free space.  Ie, over some sort of topography.

The topography could represent a geographical landscape of mountains,
hills, canyons, and valleys... perhaps most relevant when the graph
represents some sort of geographical data set where terrain is
significant.

Or it could represent some other sort of underlying multivariate data.
(Temperature?)

The force algorithm might be adapted to include a Z dimension "gravity",
pulling nodes downhill into valleys.

This sort of 3D graph might remain intuitive, and add value to the data.

I agree though, simply scattering nodes hither and thither in free space
seems like it would be disorienting to those of us who evolved on a
surface.

Rick Otten
rot...@windfish.net
O=='=+