Ah, it's a bug allright... only when using the BatchInserterIndex. The
problem goes away if you add "provider":"lucene" to the configuration map,
like:

   persons= indexProvider.nodeIndex("persons",
      MapUtil.stringMap("type","exact",
         "provider", "lucene"));

It will be fixed in M03, where the LuceneBatchInserterIndexProvider fills
that in for you.