2010/10/26 Marko Rodriguez <okramma...@gmail.com>

> Hello,
>
> > It could be added... what exactly do you need it for? Is there a use case
> > for it?
>
> Lets say I connect to some graph database and need to know what the indices
> are so I can make intelligent queries. If I don't know what indices exist,
> then I'm bound to generate new indices (e.g. I called it "people" the first
> time and "person" the second time). In MySQL, my most used operation when
> coming into a new database is to see what indices exist so I know what my
> running time for various queries will be.
>
> However, personally, I'm providing Blueprints support for multi-indexes and
> graph.getIndexNames() is an UnsupportedOperation currently for the Neo4j
> implementation.

Allright, so more from a dba point of views, so to speak.

> > Do you want the Index instances, or just the names/configurations?
>
> I would want just the names. From there I can get the instances. As, from
> what I can tell, you can't get the name from the instance. So, in effect,
> you get more information if you start with names first.

The index name could be exposed in the interface as well, and maybe even its
configuration... in neo4j you can create indices with a Map of strings as
config.

> QUESTION: In Neo4j, are indices unique up to
> String[name]/Class[node/relationship]? Meaning, can two indices have the
> same name -- one for nodes and one for relationships?

They are name/class unique so e.g. a "persons" Node index as well as a
"persons" Relationship index can coexist. And each index can have different
implementations... f.ex. one using
Lucene<http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/index.html>and another using
Babudb <http://code.google.com/p/babudb/> or whatever (controlled by the
"provider" key in the config map at creation of the index).