Hi,

a part of my current project is about rendering an abstract world map
(countries filled with a color gradient). I'm using Polypmaps on a 10 MB
geoJSON file with high-res vector data, containing 246 features defining
all the world's countries as multi-polygons (about 1.5 million points
overall). Now even when the map is zoomed in, the hole file is processed
instead of a small set of countries. Polymaps renders SVG path elements
for each request, and rendering the whole map is by far too slow (4-5 s
even on a fast machine).

My idea is to store all features in Neo4j and determine only a subset of
individual countries to process for a given map section
programmatically. There's already a neo4j instance containing all CMS
data, so this approach seems natural to me.

With Polymaps I can easily get the coordinates (lat,lon) of the box
corners. Now I only have to get all points within that box and get their
corresponding country to be loaded and rendered.

Can Neo4j spatial support me here? F.e. is there a geoJSON importer? And
I saw different search classes in org.neo4j.gis.spatial.query, could
that help? Or is there a better approach at all?

Thank you in advance

Axel