On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 10:39, Peter Neubauer
<peter.neuba...@neotechnology.com> wrote:
> There is a strong desire for having some graph visualization in the
> Neo4j Admin console, so - if you think it is interesting, I think
> there might be a strong case for the projects working together on the
> visualization component. I don't have the timeframe laid out yet but
> Neo Technology can dedicate resources to it early next year.
>
> Would that make sense to you?

Of course yes. We're not very familiar using Java, but I think it's
not needed, because the most of the code in the web admin console
would be Javascript. The only thing to decide is the format of data to
interchange between the server and the browser to paint the graph and
the properties.

Anyways, we will keep working on Sylva and its visual component,
although in a slower way than we would like.
For whatever, I'm always available at my e-mail.

> Cheers,
>
> /peter neubauer
>
> GTalk:      neubauer.peter
> Skype       peter.neubauer
> Phone       +46 704 106975
> LinkedIn   http://www.linkedin.com/in/neubauer
> Twitter      http://twitter.com/peterneubauer
>
> http://www.neo4j.org               - Your high performance graph database.
> http://www.thoughtmade.com - Scandinavia's coolest Bring-a-Thing party.
>

> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Javier de la Rosa <ver...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 16:57, Peter Neubauer
>> <peter.neuba...@neotechnology.com> wrote:
>>> Very very cool Javier!
>>
>> Thank you :)
>>
>>> Is this built using the Neo4j Python bindings or pure REST? Also, is
>>> there a public website available to refer to?
>>
>> By now we are using only REST, but the performance is not what we
>> expected when we process large nodes returned by a traversal (so much
>> HTTP requests). So we are now evaluating whether using de Python
>> binding or building a Java socket server and a Python socket client
>> could be better. When you make a traversal or use the indices, the
>> REST API returns the URLs of each of the nodes returned, so we need
>> make one HTTP request more per node. It would be great if we could
>> send an optional param to make the server returned all properties.
>>
>>> Another question - regarding visualisation, what was your experience
>>> of the best performing lib for JavaScript out there regarding large
>>> amount of nodes and relationships to render, and adaptability for UI?
>>> Currently, it seems there is
>>>
>>> - TheJIT
>>> - Processing.js
>>> - Graphdracula
>>
>> TheJIT was our first approach, but with large datasets the behaviour
>> is not very fast. Besides, the interaction ways are a bit limited and
>> hard to expand.
>> Processing.js is, with no doubt, the most promising solution. We were
>> happy using Porcessing.js, but you need build all you need to
>> represent graphs, nodes and edges. It's very low level programation
>> and by now the browsers can't with it, therefore we used a mixed
>> version between Processing.js in the browser and NetworkX in the
>> server side for some calculations of layout and etc.
>> Graphdracula was an inspiration for us. It's very beautiful, but it's
>> also very incomplete yet. I guess in the near future will be very
>> useful, but we need total control of all happens in the UI. So, now we
>> are using Räphael, the core library of Graphdracula, and we are
>> implementing several layout algorithms in Javascript and some ways to
>> interact with nodes to expand the graph by browsing.
>>
>> I hope to setup a Sylva test site soon, then I will e-mail to this
> [...]

Javier de la Rosa
http://versae.es