I was rather surprised by the setting. 1.2G seems quite large, and then I
saw 3048MB for the heap! This is why this does not run on my laptop! I've
set the values down a lot. I think the unit tests should run on most peoples
computers out the box.

I noticed the github commit said these settings we optimized for loading
croatia.osm, but I know I could load that file with much lower settings. I
think perhaps configurations for loading large datasets should not be part
of the normal regression tests, which should be fast unit tests, or medium
sized functional tests.

I will commit my changes once I have got the OSMImporter working again. It
seems your changes to the new Index API conflict somewhat with my work on
changesets. I think I have it all working now, but will not commit until I'm
a little more confident.